Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The thinking and the doing

The other day, I was doing what I seem to be doing a lot of these days, wasting time. The chosen method was blog hopping. I am new here and was just trying to see what is out there. In the process, I found something. I have found the same thing with the broad spectrum of people that I have shot the breeze over a few drinks with. People wax philosophical! If only you read what people wrote or talked about over a few drinks, 99% of the people in the world must be completely “analyzed” and hence incapable of doing stupid thinks that normal human beings that don’t see through their emotions do!

But this is clearly not true. All of these people do the stupid things that people do. I cannot say this for a fact about the blogsphere inhabitants, but most certainly about the people I know in real life. And, if the media, the movies and statistics are any measure, the people that I know are representative of the people out there. So, how does one reconcile these two facts? That is, people recognize the stupid things for what they are but continue to do them anyway?

The reconciliation lies in the fact that once one realizes something, one has to go through the exercise of putting it into practice. And the latter is the hard part. All of us know what the right thing to do is. All of us know that anger, disappointment etc are not emotions that are allowed logically. They originate from the ego and hence should not play any role in our lives. But, it is only the rare few who have the energy and application to turn this inherent knowledge into an everyday fact of life, like breathing or eating or something. I don’t think any of the above is very clearly put. But, I don’t have the energy to reread and edit it this just now.

No comments: